Ses expert advisory working group on tb infection control reports on the results of its visit to Dnipropetrovsk oblast
From September 23-27, 2013, Expert Advisory Working Group on Infection Control (IC WG), which was established by the State Sanitary and Epidemiological Service (SES) of Ukraine with technical support from the USAID STbCU project, carried out its first monitoring visit to the Dnipropetrovsk region.
The purpose of the monitoring mission was to assess problems and risks that affect the effectiveness of infection control in health care facilities that provide care for TB patients in the Dnipropetrovsk region, and provide recommendations to improve infection control measures.
Experts working group evaluated infection control measures by the following parameters:
- Current state of implementation of the Standard on TB infection control in health care settings (Ministry of Health of Ukraine’s order dated 18.08.2010 № 684).
- Existance of medical personnel responsible for implementation of TB infection control measures.
- Availability of the TB Infection control plan in health care facilities and its successful implementation.
- Organization of sputum collection points (including location, schedule, availability of trained staff ).
- Zoning of health facilities, depending on the risk of TB infection.
- Ensuring availability of laboratory tests for tuberculosis.
- Incidence of tuberculosis among health care workers.
- Knowledge of health care workers about procedures of TB diagnosis, treatment and prevention in terms of effective implementation of infection control measures.
- Implementation of measures of administrative infection control, environmental infection control, and personal protection of employees.
- Education of patients on TB infection control basics and cough hygiene.
The expert group met with the heads of Health department of the Dnipropetrovsk regional administration and visited Dnipropetrovsk Oblast AIDS Center, Dnipropetrovsk TB clinic, Kryvyy Rih TB Hospital #2, and health and recreation facility “Dzerelo” and resort “Zatyshok”.
The full report on the visit is here: https://stbcu.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Report-Dnipropetrovsk.pdf